Key Dates in the History of Swanbourne
Key dates in the History of Swanbourne
A summary agreed by The Swanbourne History Group, containing links to relevant articles within the Website
792 First mention of ‘Suanaburna’ in a document relating to King Offa’s grant of land to St Albans.
1066 Norman Conquest – Saxon lands taken over by Norman warlords.
1086 The Doomsday Book – Swanbourne was divided between 5 landholders, although one holding was extremely small. King William took over land belonging to King Harold. Other landholders – William’s half-brother the Count of Mortain, Walter Giffard and William, son of Ansculf.
1201 A grant of land was made to Woburn Abbey, the first vicar was installed in 1218 and the Parish Church is dated to 1230.
1538 Dissolution of Woburn Abbey. Their lands in Swanbourne eventually sold off.
1599 Earliest map showing the village shows the Fortesque estate included Swanbourne. Sir John Fortescue, had a very large house built for himself at Salden, near Mursley. Manor House built in Swanbourne probably for his family.
1624 John and Thomas Adams purchased main manor. 1626 Thomas Adams murdered.
1643 Swanbourne, on the side of Parliament in Civil War, burnt by troops loyal to the King.
1706 William Godwin left a bequest of £100 for the foundation of a school for the education of poor children. 1715 – Nicholas Godwin, William’s brother, left an additional £9 per annum. 8 boys from Swanbourne and 4 from Mursley.
1722 Aylesbury-Buckingham turnpike road created, passing through Swanbourne parish.
1762-3 Field Enclosure divided the village land between about 50 different land-owners.
1798 The Old House purchased by Captain Thomas Fremantle, for himself, his wife Betsey (nee Wynne) and new-born son, Thomas Fremantle.
1809 First Baptist Chapel built (rebuilt 1863. Closed 1969)
1819 Admiral Thomas Fremantle died whilst in command in the Mediterranean. His eldest son, Thomas Francis Fremantle was made a Baronet the following year.
1829 Charles Fremantle (Admiral’s 2nd son) claimed Western Australia for the crown.
1832 Church of England School built (replaces Godwin School).
1850 Railway came to Swanbourne (Station closed Dec 1967).
1858 First Methodist Chapel built (present building replaced it in1907)
1863 Parish Church refurbished.
1867-71 Swanbourne House built for Sir Thomas Fremantle (1st Lord Cottesloe from 1874)
1871 Infant School built. (Closed 1913. Now the Village Hall)
1890 1st Lord Cottesloe died. 2nd Lord succeeds him.
1914–18 World War 1 – Swanbourne men, including TFH Fremantle, killed.
1918 2nd Lord Cottesloe died. 3rd Lord remained living in the Old House. Swanbourne House empty.
1920 War memorial unveiled. Swanbourne House School established.
1939–45 World War 2 – Anthony Bartley serves as an RAF fighter pilot in the Battle of Britain.
1948 District Council agreed to the building of Ridgway Cottages (16 houses) for village people.
RETURN TO HISTORICAL EVENTS